Keto: What to Eat and What to Avoid
The Keto Diet plan is not only about restricting carb intake but rather making a choice to live a healthier lifestyle.
The diet requires you to focus more on whole and natural foods and stay away from processed and sugary-foods.
To make it easier for you to shop and know which foods to eat and which to not, we have compiled an exhaustive list of food items along with their nutrient values below.
Of course, there are some foods that you should avoid at all times and there are some that you should look to include more. But, we have also provided a list of foods that fall in the grey area i.e., you should eat them only in moderation.
These foods comprise the primary mix of foods for your Ketogenic diet. Your grocery shopping list should primary include these items and you should look for recipes that primarily use these ingredients. Try to keep your diet restricted to these foods 70-80% of the time.
1. HEALTHY FATS
• Saturated Fats: Coconut Oil; Animal Fat such as Lard, Tallow, Chicken Fat, Duck Fat; Ghee (or Clarified Butter); Unprocessed Butter
• Mono-unsaturated Fats: Avocado Oil, Macadamia Nuts Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• Omega-3 Fats: Fatty fish. Seafood, Nuts
2. Lean Proteins
• Grass-fed Meat - Poultry, Pork, Beef, Lamb, Goat, Seafood, Fish, Eggs, Ghee, Organs such as Liver, Kidney, and Heart
• Soy Protein - Soyabean, Soy Sauce, Soy Milk, Tofu
• Vegetable Protein - Spinach, Kale, Spirulina, Chlorella, Moringa, Artichokes, Asparagus, Broccoli, and other green leafy vegetables
• All legumes and lentils
Caution: avoid meats that come with sugary or starchy combinations i.e., meats covered in breadcrumbs, hot dogs, burgers, etc.
3. Non-starchy Vegetables
• Cruciferous Vegetables - Arugula, Bok Choy, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cauliflower, Collard Greens, Kale, Mustard greens, Radish, Turnip, and Watercress
• All green leafy vegetables including - Spinach, Kale, Chard, Chives, Endive, Cilantro, Mint, etc.
• Salad Favorites - Onion, Green Chilli, Cucumber, Turnip, etc.
4. Fatty Fruits
5. Natural Drinks / Beverages
• Coconut Water
• Bulletproof Coffee
• Green Tea
• Lemon Juice
• All herbs and spices
• Fermented foods like Kimchi & Kombucha
EAT IN MODERATION
There include that have one or the other good benefit in the form of essential nutrients but can derail you from ketosis or be harmful if consumed at a regular basis. Typically, these are foods that have moderate amounts of carbs, but are easily available and common in most recipes.
7. Root, Nightshade, Sea Vegetables
• Bell Peppers
• Bean Sprouts
• Sweet Potato
8. Protein Otherwise
• Grain-fed meat: Beef, pork, eggs, turkey, etc.
• Full-fat Dairy: Full-fat Milk, Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, Sour Cream, Cheese
9. Vegan Protein
• Fermented soy products (natto, tempeh, edamame, and soy-sauce)
10. Nuts & Seeds
• Macadamia Nuts (Keto favorite)
• Almonds, Walnut, Hazelnuts, Pecans, Cashew, Pistachio, and Brazil Nuts
• Flax seed, Pumpkin seeds, Sesame seeds, Sunflower seeds, and Hemp seeds
11. Fruits Rich in Minerals & Nutrients
• Berries: Blueberries, Cranberries, Mulberries, Acai Berries etc.
• Water-rich: Watermelon, Muskmelons, Kiwi, etc.
• Mineral-rich: Apple, Grapefruit, Orange, Figs, Pears, Cherries, Peach, Dragon Fruit, etc.
• Tomato Puree
• Cocoa and carob powder, Dark chocolate (>70% cocoa)
13. Zero-carb Alcohols
• Red & White Wine
DO NOT drink if you are trying to lose weight. Drink only when you want to maintain the weight.
FOODS TO AVOID
• Sprouted grains
15. Common grain-based Foods
16. Sugary and Sweet Foods
• Table sugar
• Ice cream
• High Fructose Corn Syrup
17. All Processed Foods
18. Refined Fats/Oils
• Sunflower Oil
• Safflower Oil
• Cottonseed Oil
• Canola Oil
• Soybean Oil
• Grapeseed Oil
• Corn Oil
19. Artificial Sweeteners
20. Factory-farmed Pork and Fish
21. Starchy Vegetables (Primarily Potato)
22. Any food that claims to be "Low Fat", "Low Carb" or "Zero Calorie"
• Chewing Gums
• Diet Soda
23. Milk (Except full-fat)
24. High-carb Fruits
• Tropical Fruits: Mango, Pineapple, Banana, Papaya, etc.
• Starchy Fruits: Grapes, Tangerines, etc.
• All juices (Fruits when juiced is just sugar water) - Smoothies are still better as they retain some of the fiber.
25. High-carb Alcohols
• Sweet wine