A popular fad in low carb dieting such as Keto is currently with “Fat Bombs”. In this article, we will focus on what are Keto Fat Bombs, what are their characteristics, what it takes to prepare them, and some amazing recipes.
What are Keto Fat Bombs?
Keto Fat Bombs are condensed Keto snacks, or in some cases meals, that are extremely high in fat content (>90%) made with approved Keto ingredients. They are usually characterized by their ease of preparation and small size, and provide considerable energy boost because of its high fat concentration. Typically, fat bombs are either sweet or savory, but can be modified per personal preference.
Although in this article, we are looking at fat bombs only from a Keto-perspective but they are remarkably popular in other low carb diets such as paleo diet or atkins diet.
The objective of Fat Bombs is to provide energy surges whenever there is an energy lull during the day in the form of a quick snack.
Features of Keto Fat Bombs
1. High in Fat- and Calorie-content
Fat bombs are designed to provide a condensed form of energy boost to the body. Due to Keto’s high-fat nature, Keto fat bombs are intentionally made up with high-concentration of healthy fats, such as coconut oil, dairy fats or animal fats, that can meet any immediate calorific requirement of the body. Thus, they usually also contain high amount of calories.
2. Consumed in Small Quantity
Because of its high calorific content, Keto fat bombs are intentionally consumed only in small quantities. They are usually eaten in the form of small chunks or slices. If eaten in excess, it can counter the benefits and lead to unwanted weight gain.
3. Eaten in Frozen Form
Since most Keto-approved Fats are liquid at room temperature but freeze when kept in the refrigerator, it allows the convenience of converting fat bombs into solid snacks that can be carried easily and consumed at will. All fat bomb recipe usually require the step of refrigeration for about 6-8 hours.
4. Sweet or Savory in Taste
Since, desserts made of sugar are not allowed in Keto, Fat bombs act as a great alternative for desserts in the Keto lifestyle through the use of zero-carb sweeteners such as Stevia, Erythritol or Sucralose. However, some people even make savory or tangy versions by adding salt or herbs, such as bacon shots or small cauli-pizza cones.
Of course, you can choose to make your own version depending on your preference. The concept remains the same – concentrated high-fat and extremely low carb.
5. Often includes Textural Items such as Nuts or Fruits
Many people like to add more Keto-approved ingredients such as nuts or fruit chunks or coconut cream on top of fat bomb to make it more interesting. It often also adds the nutritional value of Keto fat bombs. However, if added in excess, it can defeat the purpose of fat bomb because most additional items, including nuts and fruits, are also rich in carbs.
6. Portable and Perfect for Snacking
Keto fat bombs being small in size and frozen make it a perfect snack to carry around at all times. Usually prepared in batches (of 1 or 2 dozens) the bombs can be eaten through the week by simply freezing it.
A lot of dieters complain the lack of “snack” options available in Keto diet. Fat bombs fulfill that need to perfection. Oh! BTW did I mentioned they are extremely tasty?
Composition of Keto Fat Bombs
In essence, Keto fat bombs comprise of three main ingredients: 1) A base of healthy fats; 2) A flavoring agent; and 3) Textural items. We’ll explore them in details below:
1. A Base of Healthy Fats
Typically a fat that solidifies (or gains some structure) when refrigerated is used to prepare Fat bombs. There are typically three forms of fats (Keto-approved) that you can use:
- Dairy fats (such as cheese, butter and ghee)
- Vegetable/fruit/nut fats (such as coconut oil, avocado oil and almond butter)
- Animal fats (such as tallow and lard)
Most commonly used fat for base in fat bombs is cheese and coconut oil due to their easily absorbed fat content and taste.
Caution: DO NOT use Peanut Butter for fat bombs as it is high on carbs and doesn’t exactly fall in the Keto-approved list even though it appears to be safe.
2. A Flavoring Agent
Depending on the type of taste you prefer you may choose to add a flavoring agent accordingly.
- Sweet: Stevia, Erythritol, Sucralose and Cinnamon
- Salty: Table salt and Himalayan rock salt
- Sour: Lime juice, sour cream, etc.
- Savory: Herbs such as mint or fennel seeds
- Spicy: Bacon chunks, salami, scrambled eggs, spices such as pepper, turmeric or garam masala, etc.
- Miscellaneous: Coffee, macha green tea, guacamole paste, etc.
Most commonly used flavoring agent is Stevia and Cinnamon because of their natural plant-based origin.
3. Textural Items
Technically, the above two items are sufficient to make a fat bomb. But to make it more interesting and add texture, you may choose from a long list of Keto-recommended items based on preference.
- Crunchy texture: Cacao nibs; dark chocolate (>80% cocoa); coconut chunks; nuts such as pistachio, almonds and cashew; and seeds such as flax seeds and chia seeds.
- Mellowy texture: Marshmallow bits, graded coconut, egg-yolk, etc.
- Fruity or veggie texture: Blueberry or raspberry bits, orange pulp, chopped tomato or onions, pumpkin puree, etc.
Most commonly used textural items are cacao nibs, graded coconuts and nuts, for their close resemblance to regular chocolate-based desserts.
How to Make Fat Bombs
Like its composition, the preparation of fat bombs is also fairly uncomplicated and straightforward. The preparation of fat bombs typically involves the three following step:
1. Create the Mix
Depending on the quantity you are looking to prepare take required amount of the fat base. Typically, we recommend to prepare fat bombs in a batch of 1 or 2 dozen so that it lasts you for a week without going stale or losing its taste.
So, if you are using a liquid-based base, such as coconut oil, you’ll need about 30 tbsp of the fat for a batch of dozen. Or, if you are using a semi-solid base, such as cheese or animal fats, you’ll need about 20 tbsp. For semi-solid bases, blend it to turn it into a liquidy-form. (Add water if required)
Now, depending on the flavor and texture you want, add the remaining ingredients. If you want to make a sweet and crunchy fat bomb, add the sweetener (such as stevia or cinnamon) and crunchy item (such as cacao nibs or crushed nuts) to your fat base (such as coconut oil)
Similarly, if you are making a savory and mellowy fat bomb, add the savory agent (such as bacon bits) and mellowy item (such as egg-yolk) to your fat base (such as cheese).
Use a spatula or wooden spoon to mix the ingredients properly so that each item is well distributed.
2. Pour the Mix into Preferred Shapes
Always make sure that your fat bombs are small in size. Eating large portions of fat bombs can lead to consumption of excess calories leading to weight gain. Typically, you want to restrict your calorie consumption to below 500 kcal per bomb.
Pour the liquid mixture into trays or muffin cups or a baking pan to give it the intended shape.
3. Freeze the Mix
Place the tray or cups of the mix in the freezer for a minimum of 6 to 8 hours to allow the fat to solidify satisfactorily.
Take it out and eat as necessary. Keep the rest in the freezer and take out as and when required.
We recommend eating only a piece or at max 2 of these bombs. You may use these for meal replacement as well if necessary. Although since these typically lack protein or dietary fiber, we don’t recommend it for meals. Additionally, the texture items may contain considerable amount of carbs and thus may danger ketosis.
To further help you get started with preparing tasty and healthy Keto Fat Bombs, we have compiled a list of 20 most popular fat bombs available across the web.
Recipe for Keto Fat Bombs
1. Vanilla Fat Bombs dipped in Chocolate Recipe (KetoSummit)
2. Chocolate Almond Keto Fat Bomb Recipe (KetoSummit)
3. Bulletproof Coffee Drops (AGirlWorthSaving)
4. Macha Coconut Fat Bombs (TheHealthyFoodie)
5. Raspberry Almond Chocolate Fat Bombs (MyPCosKitchen)
6. White Chocolate Butter Pecan Candies (HealthySweetEats)
7. Keto Cookie Dough Truffles (KetoDietApp)
8. Healthy Low-Carb White Chocolate (KetoDietApp)
9. Easter Egg Cookie Dough Fat Bombs (HealthfulPursuit)
10. 4-Ingredient Keto Cookie Bars (HealthfulPursuit)
11. Maple & Pecan Fudge Fat Bombs (KetoDietApp)
12. Keto Pecan Fudge Fat Bombs (ThePrimitivePalate)
13. Fat Bomb Pumpkin Pie Patties (HealthfulPursuit)
14. Bacon & Guacamole Fat Bombs (KetoDietApp)
15. Keto Chocolate Hemp Fat Bomb Men (HealthfulPursuit)
16. Strawberry Cheesecake Fat Bombs (LowCarbSoSimple)
17. Almond Butter Chia Squares (Ruled.me)
18. Lemon Macadamia Fat Bombs (HealthStartsInTheKitchen)
19. Keto Choco-Nut Almond Butter Cups (TheHealthyFoodie)
20. Orange & Walnut Chocolate Fat Bombs (KetoDietApp)
Bonus: Triple Layer Fudge Cups & Toasted Sunflower Coconut Butter (PeachyPalate)