Keto For Indian Working Professionals
Although Ketogenic diet offers many benefits it can prove to be quite challenging to implement it in real life due to the constraints on carbs and sugar-based foods. The challenge gets even worse for “working professional” who don’t even get the luxury to cook or decide their meals. However, it is not impossible to do the Ketogenic diet for Indian working professionals if you can be a little smart about it.
If you can make simple changes to your regular diet plan, you can very easily do Keto and/or Low Carb living.
Let’s look at a typical Indian working professional meal plan one-by-one.
Typically the lunchbox and/or dinner (late-night) meals would look like this:
- A hearty portion of either rice (or poha) or wheat (chapati/parantha/poori)
- One sabzi (vegetable or meat dish typically including potato)
- One dal (lentil)
- A serving of salad (comprising onion, radish, cucumber, tomato, etc.)
- Raita or Yogurt
- A sweet dish (A sweet or kheer or halwa, etc.)
Of course, there might be variations but more or less this is what you get!
Now, let’s first try to fix this and change this typical Indian meal more Keto-centric.
- Get rid of the rice or wheat portion. For that matter avoid any grain-based food (including suji, corn, bajra, makai, etc).
- So, no more rotis, paranthas, pooris, rice or idlis.
- Instead the ‘sabzi’ is going to take the mainstay in your meals going forward.Thus, instead of one serving take 2–3 servings of sabzi going forward. You’ll be filling up on it, so keep it heavy. If you can afford it in terms of money and time, take 2 sabzis if required.However, you will have to give up ‘Potato’. such as spinach, bathua, mint, french beans, okra (bhindi), bottleguard (lauki), cauliflower (gobi), etc.
- The dal would be another important aspect of your diet going forward. All dals are rich in protein and extremely healthy.But, they are a bit heavy in carbs as well. So, I would not recommend change in portion size. But, yes feel free to add more ghee or butter.
- Salads are of course welcome but try to control portions of starchy vegetables such as carrot, radish and beetroot.Onions, tomatoes and cucumber make perfect salad inclusions. Increase serving size to fill up more on salads.
- Raita or Yogurt (unsweetened) are also great food for Keto and good source for calcium. So, continue eating but make sure you don’t add sugar.
- The Sweet dish is the only second thing you’ll need to give up.It contains heavy doses of sugar and thus simple carbs. Sweet dishes such as Kheer and Halwa include heavy doses of sugar, grains and condensed milk – none of which go with Keto. I understand it can be hard to quit sugar but
In addition to the above changes, I would recommend a few other changes in your diet:
- Cook using desi ghee or coconut oil. Give up all vegetable oils – they are no good. ( )
- Include more spices in your diet. They have zero carbs but contain essential minerals.
- Include heavy portions of .
- If you are non-vegetarian eat more eggs, roasted meat and fish than fried. So, go nuts on tandoori chicken and fish.
- , definitely include more cottage cheese (in moderation), soybean and tofu in your diet to compensate for protein.
- Give up on milk, buttermilk and condensed milk. Dairy is tricky business – .
- Stay away from sweet fruits such as banana, mango, jackfruit, pineapple etc. Instead go with berries and tangerines if you must.
- For snacking, stay away from fried foods instead carry .
- Stay away from all packaged foods available in the market or cafeteria – all BAD for Keto.
- You may include omega-3, Zinc, Magnesium, Manganese, Calcium and Vitamin D3 supplements in your diet.
- To avoid mistakes, carry snacks and packed food wherever you go!
- When eating out, stick to vegetables and meat. Stay away from grain-based foods and potatoes. – so there’s a good news for you!
- Give up everything sweet for now. You’ll be happy you did!
Hope this helps your predicament a little. Of course, to carve out a perfect Keto diet that suits your requirement you’ll need to understand the basics yourself. For a start, read this complete beginners guide for Ketogenic Diet.
Also, know that even if you don’t hit Keto, you will still gain a lot from a Low Carb lifestyle. You can gradually put yourself into Keto and reap.
To get a detailed India-centric meal plan for Ketogenic diet, I wrote an extremely similar blog on “You will find some great insights there. If you are not a vegetarian, I would make the simple addition of lean meats and fish in your diet.
Do you know what makes the difference between people who SUCCEED and fail on the keto diet?
Most people who try a new diet do it without a plan. They understand the rules: the foods they can and can’t eat. They even have a variety of quality recipes at their fingertips. But what they DON’T have is a day-by-day plan to carry them through that critical first month. Without a plan, it’s easy for them to be swayed by peer pressure. It’s easy for them to be unprepared… and then make bad decisions just because it’s easier. That’s why we put together… The 28 Day Keto Challenge. It is a well-crafted plan to get you through the first month. You get a 28-day meal plan to guide you every step of the way. You’re never left to figure things out on your own. Nothing is left to chance. Simply follow the plan and you WILL succeed. And it’s more than a plan. It’s also a challenge. It’s designed to stretch you, to see what you’re really capable of. (Not to worry… With the proper guidance, you can do more than you think!) When you sign up for the 28-Day Keto Challenge, you’ll get a full 28-Day Meal Plan, which includes 7 guides to educate and encourage you on the way…Continue Reading
FREE Keto Sweets Cookbook
FREE BOOK: Eat Cookies and Brownies Every Day… And Still Get the Body of Your Dreams. Inside, you’ll find 80 keto-friendly dessert recipes so mouth-watering, they blow the originals out the water. Goodies such as Vanilla Ice Cream… Almond Butter Brownie Bites… Chocolate Covered Bacon Bites, Oreos… and Lemon Meringue Pie… (And they blast belly fat with each bite.) The secret? Each recipe leverages the power of the keto diet. Lets indulge in appetizing, low-carb, keto-friendly versions of everything we’re told to “give up”. Imagine! Key Lime Pie… Strawberries & Cream Popsicles… Layered Mocha Cheesecake… Graham Crackers… all while still slimming your waistline.Continue Reading
Get This BRAND NEW Simply Tasty KetogenicCookbook 100% FREE!
Worried that you won’t be able to follow the Keto Diet because it’s “complicated”… or that you’re going to miss eating carb-heavy dishes like pancakes and mashed potatoes? Well, you can stop worrying now because you’re about to get 150 easy-to-prepare recipes so you can start eating Keto and stick with it for the long haul. It’s The Brand New Ketogenic Guide For Anybody Who Wants To Burn Fat And Lose Weight Fast Without Spending Hours in the Kitchen!Continue Reading