Our modern lifestyle makes us an easy target to toxins coming from various sources such as alcohol, air pollutants, processed and fatty-foods, food additives, and even prescription medicines.
A buildup of these toxins in our body makes us vulnerable to various chronic and deadly diseases such as diabetes, cancer, hypertension, and obesity. And, the burden of expelling these toxins fall on the entire digestive system, but especially on the LIVER.
It is the liver's duty to absorb nutrients from food and expel all harmful or unnecessary substances from the body.
A failure to do can lead the toxins inside our bloodstream. An over-burdened liver might not be able to hold off the toxins for long and lead to Cirrhosis of the liver. Since it is difficult to control the exposure of harmful elements in our life, we need to make sure that the liver is guarded. So, it is vital that every now and then we do a liver detox so that all the toxins can be flushed out.
DURING THE DETOX, YOU NEED TO KEEP THE FOLLOWING THINGS IN MIND:
- Say NO to Processed, Fatty Foods
- Cut down on caffeine
- Stay away from alcohol and smoking
- Limit exposure to air pollutants and spend more time in green areas
- Get sufficient sleep (at least 7 to 8 hours)
- Limit the consumption of food additives or prescription medication (unless they are absolutely necessary)
- Stay hydrated
- DO A DETOX DIET BY EATING DETOXIFYING FOODS
A GOOD LIVER DETOXIFYING DIET SHOULD INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING ESSENTIAL MINERALS AND VITAMINS:
- Vitamin A, C, D, E, K
- Glucaric Acid (to detoxify metal elements from the bloodstream)
- Sulforaphane & Indole-3-Carbinol
- Natural Sulfur Compounds
- Arginine (to detoxify Ammonia)
- Essential Fatty Acids (to maintain healthy cell-membrane where more acids are required for healthy liver functions
While there are many great sources of these minerals and vitamins, these 10 SUPERFOODS stand out in DETOXIFYING AND CLEANSING THE LIVER.
TOP 10 LIVER DETOX SUPERFOODS
1. Citrus Fruits (Lemon, Grapefruit)
High on Vitamin C, these citrus fruits help in synthesizing toxic materials into substances that can be absorbed by water. Including freshly-squeezed lemon or lime juice in your morning smoothies helps stimulate the liver.
Beets are rich in the compound betalains, which also gives it the vibrant purple-pink color. Betalains have anti-inflammatory properties and boost cell repair in the liver. Beets also help in expelling toxic substances from the lymph nodes.
Because you'll be cutting down on your consumption of fatty foods during the detox, a great source to obtain the required healthy fats, vital to absorb fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) is Avocado. Avocados have mono-unsaturated fats that expedite the release bile from the gall bladder and fastening the process of detoxification. Additionally, the fruit is rich in fiber that aids in digestion and elimination of toxic substances.
Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and is an excellent aid for digestion and detoxification because it increases the speed at which food passes through the digestive tract.
The compounds in the leaves of the plant are excellent in expelling heavy metals, such as mercury and lead, from the body.
Rich in essential nutrients and detoxifying compounds Pectin and Glucaric Acid, Apple is a great food for detoxifying the liver. Both Pectin and Glucaric Acid absorb toxins and heavy metals from the body so that they can be easily removed from the system.
Spirulina, a potent, delicious, and highly nutritive superfood, through Chelation, binds and removes toxic heavy metals from the body.
A favorite of all nutritionists, Kale is rich in fiber and natural detoxifying compounds that aid digestion and help in expelling damaging heavy metals from the system.
Cranberries keep the entire lymphatic system clean by flushing out toxins and preventing plaque buildup in all organs involved in the digestion process.
Arugula is rich in detoxifying compounds, sulforaphane and indole-3-carbinol, that expedite the detox process and prevent from cirrhosis.
APART FROM THESE SUPERFOODS, THERE ARE MANY OTHER HEALTHY FOODS THAT YOU MAY INCLUDE IN YOUR DIET SUCH AS:
- Alfalfa sprouts (rich in Vitamin K)
- Garlic (rich in Selenium, Methionine, and natural sulfur compounds)
- Leeks (rich in sulfur)
- Nuts (such as Walnuts, Brazilian nuts, rich in essential fatty acids, Arginine, and Selenium)
- Fish (such as Sardines, Tuna, and Salmon, rich in essential fatty acids and Methionine)
- Whole grain (rich in fiber and essential fatty acids)